POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request: deform : Re: Request: deform Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:25:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request: deform
From: Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba
Date: 9 Jan 2001 04:39:12
Message: <3a5adc40$1@news.povray.org>
Chris Huff wrote in message ...
> > I suggest that we begin to think of the possibilities of implementing
> > such functions. I personally believe that it could improve POV-Ray
> > significantly in some of the areas where it is currently not as
> > powerful as many other renderers.
>
> You're a little late...Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba

simpler is write just ABX :-)

> has already been working on
> a deform patch, which apparently can work on all objects

I have changed my previous syntax for simpler usage I think

instead next object in pov syntax I have putted deform into object modifiers
in example :

ttf {
  "arial.ttf" , "Hello world" 0, 1
  texture { ... }
  transform { translate rotate etc.. }
  deform { TYPE PARAMS }
  :
  :
}

also declaration of deforms will be available just like declaration of
transformations, textures or other things

#declare BestTwist = deform { twist .5 }

object {
  MyBox
  texture { MyTexture }
  deform { BestTwist }
}

Every deformation will be defined as something like pattern in pigments : twist,
envelope, curve, stretch etc followed parameters. I plan implement functions as
type of deformations after 3.5 release (I wait for specification of functions) -
deform{function{...}}

Rune's proposition of control points could be possible as part of this stuff but
... I thought about deformation depends of distance point to the bezier patch or
sth

current state of deform patch : geometry works fine, now I play with deformation
of atributes of textures applied to object

ABX